Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Color of Solitude


I just can't be lonely as long as the birds are around to keep me company.  Solitude seems to be something one grows into, like the new clothes we got to start school many years ago.  

When I was younger, I craved the company of others. I always had the radio on, and for years, the music was there, whether I was doing housework or baking bread. 

Now, I don't listen to music as often, and when I do, it tends to be something classical.... and soothing.  No, I much prefer the sound of silence, punctuated by an occasional bird. 

In autumn, the crickets continue their scratching until the temperature drops and they too, embrace the silence. The birds are quieter, perhaps conserving energy for the harsh weather to come.  

The wind, still gentle, spends the day caressing the trees. Together they dance and sing a melody that I could listen to for hours. 

And, after solitude and quiet, I appreciate, all the more, my family and friends when I hear their sweet voices again!

Thought for today:  
            
   "I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity." 
               - Albert Einstein






2 comments:

  1. We are strange creatures. I need silence to work and enjoy the luxury of solitude; yet I thrive in a lively house filled with the sounds of family life. Perhaps the extremes help us to better appreciate the value of silence and noise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I definitely need my solitude--I cherish the time that is just mine, for quiet and writing, painting, drawing, reading...and then I am ready to enjoy my family and friends-a beautiful haiku and photo :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...