Monday, September 30, 2013

Delicious Ratatouille

*****

My interest in cooking has returned with the cooler weather but lucky for me, there are still plenty of summer veggies left for me to make one of my all time favorite recipes - ratatouille. My CSA box contained all the ingredients I needed for this wonderful eggplant dish.

 I've adapted a Molly Katzen recipe from my dog-eared copy of "The Moosewood Cookbook.'  My latest version involves grilling the veggies and boy, am I glad I tried this! Even The Admiral, who is not a huge fan of eggplant, loved this version!  

Here is my recipe:

* Dice a good sized eggplant and 2 zucchinis, coat with olive oil  and grill on a cookie sheet in the oven on 400 for about 20 minutes.

* While the veggies are grilling, saute an onion, several cloves of garlic and a few dark red peppers in olive oil for a few minutes.  Add 2  chopped tomatoes, a bay leaf, some oregano and marjoram, a dash of rosemary, 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste and a few splashes of red wine (1/4 to 1/2 cup) Cook for a few minutes.  

*Add the roasted veggies, salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 15-20 minutes.

* Just before serving, stir in a handful of parsley and some chopped black olives. Pass the grated Romano cheese.

I served this with small baked  fingerling potatoes and some wild salmon. 
It is also good on polenta or over rice. The leftovers can be served cold with a splash of vinegar.  Enjoy!

Ratatouille

Delicious!

You may also enjoy :What Time Is It? It's Soup Time!
    
                               Chili For a Crowd                             
*****

2 comments:

  1. Aha! Grilling the veg sounds like a great idea. One of my children dislikes aubergine, but I bet if I grilled it first, there might be a change of heart. Top tip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removing most or all of the of the skin will also camouflage the true nature of the veggie in question! This reminds me of one of my most devious methods of getting children to eat vegetables(many years ago) I made a stir fry of mixed vegetables with an Asian flavor - and used lots of wine during the cooking. Then, with a completely straight face, I informed the little buggers they could only have a small portion because it had wine in it. Voila - they asked for seconds!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...