Friday, June 15, 2012

Pay-Back Time


    I am not a morning person.  For years,  I  needed jumper cables to get me going.  My husband has always loved a big breakfast.    AND he  always seemed  to leap out of bed all showered and dressed. So it often fell to him to prepare breakfast.  He was particularly adept at plying the children with pancakes and hot cereal when they were in high school and had to leave the house before it was light.
French Toast, Strawberries and Tea
   
   When I retired and he didn't, I decided it was my turn to make him breakfast! These days  I set my alarm for 6AM and leap out of bed (well, not exactly leap.  More like drag myself into the kitchen) to  prepare a full breakfast for him.  Omelets, pancakes, French Toast, old-fashioned oatmeal with fruit and cinnamon, scrambled eggs and toast, now I do it all!! 

  He is ready in about 18 minutes ( life is so easy if you are a man)  so I have to be quick without burning the house down, since I need 9 of those minutes to make his lunch.  

  French Toast is one of his favorites and I can have it ready in 8 minutes and 54 seconds. 

 Beat one egg and some milk (we use soy milk) with a generous amount of cinnamon.  Heat the frying pan and add a tablespoon of canola oil.  Dip two slices of  whole wheat bread in the egg mixture and get the bread soaked on both sides.  Fry until golden brown. Sprinkle with more cinnamon.




   Cut up a serving of whatever fruit  is in season.  It's great  with berries, sliced apple,  pear,  peach or nectarine and maple syrup, of course.  Serve with strong English Breakfast Tea and  a bit of cream.


Breakfast can be fast and easy to prepare!  And if you are making this for a certain special dad on Father's Day, by all means add some bacon!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...