Saturday, September 8, 2012

Holy Ground




 Prairie grass
beneath a traveler's feet
cut-glass above.


***


Spring journey
burnished clouds....straw sandals
intimate guides
                                                     



Looking East toward the Great Plains


     I love this photo.  It was taken toward the end of a vacation  spent hiking in the Rocky Mountains.  In the last few days of our trip,  we took a short drive east of Colorado Springs to a park on the edge of the Front Range.

 After several weeks of stunning mountain vistas and  rugged western outdoors, I snapped this photo looking east.  There the flatness of the Great Plains came as a stunning shock to my eyes.

 The incomparable Colorado sky  seemed to embrace the golden grasslands. Both  the sky and the reeds seemed to be pointing the way  home. It felt like holy ground.



Today I am sharing my photo with At Home with Books  and my poem with  Haiku Heights.   The  prompt for the poem is the word gloss




  

31 comments:

  1. What lovely lines complimenting the beautiful pictures ... great combo !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty with the grass against the sky! I've never seen the plains in person, only from an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That landscape seems to go on and on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a postcard shot! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty snapshots (both haiku and pic).

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your imagery...the cut glass....cool way to see the sky...and my sandals are a constant companion...smiles. very cool pic...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photo and fantastic haiku. I feel the spirit of pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a lovely shot - there's a wonderful textural quality to the grass, and I like the contrast of its straight lines and spikiness against those fluffy, rounded clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely picture...I like the cut glass and intimate guides ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful image and haiku to match.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It feels like an action shot - you can almost see the clouds scudding across the sky and reeds waving in the breeze - very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This leaves me in awe ... you have painted with your words and together with this wonderful picture you have made a wonderful haiga (picture + haiku).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the contrast of the dry grass and the clouds. Wonderful composition.

    Here's my Saturday Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your words and your photograph, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember Colorado driving Pike's Peak and drinking a lot of water! It was all good! Thanks for sharing your adventures, BHN! xxoo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both your haiku and photo are beautiful. The etching of the grasses against the sky is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful cloud formations with complimentary haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before I ever saw the photo, I thought: cut glass = stars

    Gloss

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can picture the gloss! Spring journey sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning :D **New Follower**

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful shot! Such a sense of the huge amount of space between grass and sky just by focusing on both! A keeper - and your words complement perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shot. So inspiring the wilderness feel and blessed silence with no machines :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great lines for the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome pic with a lovely haiku...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photo, I feel like I'm sitting there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous photo (really nice contrast with the stiff grass and fluffy clouds-blue sky) and beautiful words to go with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...