Monday, October 29, 2012

Airborne


Today the prompt at CARPE DIEM is "flying."
Sharing with Open Link Monday at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads


 I wrote this first haiku  about a week ago, while watching fair weather clouds  scoot by my window.

>>>>

white clouds
sail across the blue sky
migrating geese

>>>>


Yesterday, knowing that a three day storm was on its way, we went for a long walk, front-loading on exercise for the week.  This is what greeted us.

<<<<

the silent wind
contradicts the low gray sky
the skittish birds know

<<<<

Today there is a very different scene outside.  A huge storm is bearing down on us from the tropics.  She is on a collision course with 'Old Man Winter'  who is heading our way from the north and west.

>>>>

a summer storm
flies north for an autumn date
with winter

>>>>



  Still hundreds of miles away, its presence is very much felt this morning.  I am  listening to the howling wind and watching the scene outside my window as I write.  


<<<<

a finch hunkers down
in the shelter of a tree
autumn leaves fly

<<<<       



Thought for today :  If you are in the storm's path, hunker down like the birds and be safe.



                                            

25 comments:

  1. wow! These are all wonderful. I love the first especially. Very classical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the entire set....I too am in the path of the alleged 'superstorm', but I don't think her fury will match the media hype!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have yourself prepared for 'the impact' of the storm heading your way. Nevertheless ... these haiku are wonderful ... nicely done and a good use of the prompt.
    Thank you for being here on Carpe Diem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely set of haiku ~ glad you got your walk in ~ be safe, dry and warm ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^ from MA ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the migrating geese haiku so fast that I thought it said "migrating cheese"! :)

    Flying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know my haiku isn't always on the mark but ...........migrating cheese!?!

      Delete
  6. I so enjoyed these! Such a great idea to capture the moment and observations in haiku. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful writing Barbara--I really enjoyed these--stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the silent wind
    contradicts the low gray sky
    the skittish birds know" exactly how it was here yesterday... today...another story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the haiku set specially the last one ~ The strong wind is bearing down on us right now ~ Hopefully it will not be so bad in the morning ~

    Take care ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful set of poems.hopefully you will take care during the Frankenstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the storm is over...
    We must learn from smart birds to protect ourselves.
    Lovely haiku, especially like the second one.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These make me feel like takling a walk and soking in the feeling of Autmn. Each and every one of them lovely in their own right, but I think my fave is the second one....the animals know...and they don't have computer models...lol. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great haiku...Yes, the animals know. We would do well to heed their intuition. I hope you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful progression of the stages of the storm as you experienced it. I really can't choose a favorite - they are all well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this was amazing and so vivid!
    I love how you captured the mood of a storm coming and bearing down on us~
    I hope you hunkered down are okay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a mighty storm! Still going on actually. Loved all the verse you wrote. So apt! I like the last one...the birds know what to do! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Haiku set. We have so much to learn from animals and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep safe Barbara!! All the haikus make me smile, however I love this one in particular for its cleverness!
    a summer storm
    flies north for an autumn date
    with winter

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely collection Barbara. It's surprising how so much can be conveyed in just a few words.

    I loved the scarecrows on the previous post, such fun :-)

    I do hope all is well Barbara and that you weren't badly affected by the storm? We have had extensive news coverage of it here and it looked truly devastating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the "the silent wind
    contradicts the low gray sky"...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...