Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Exercise, Summer Lunch




     My exercise program can come to a screeching halt when it is hot, unless I get out really  early.  This past week was a very hot one in my neck of the woods and very challenging.  I either went out at 6:30 AM for a long walk or I got myself out to weed the garden by seven.  When  I missed that small window, I'll be honest, I reneged on any and all promises to hit the pavement!  Some days it just got too hot, too early!

     In any event, cool, easy meals are the way to go in the heat.  Sometimes a meal  can be  serendipitous.   The best ones always  feel like I've made something out of nothing at all. 

    Here's a simple lunch salad to make when  you are  feeling virtuous after a good workout or guilty because you  didn't get up early enough to exercise.

    Cook extra chicken so there are leftovers for the next day or evening meal or  use chickpeas or feta cheese in place of the chicken. Most of the veggies and the berries were from  my CSA box from Golden Earthworm Farm. You can substitute some crispy jicama or radishes or  small white turnips for the kohlrabi.   Feel free to  shake things up a bit. ( Kind of like the It Never Tastes the Same Twice Vegetable Soup  recipe I posted  back in April.)


                                          Serendipity Salad


                                     Arugula and baby spinach
                                     Leftover chicken
                                     Leftover grilled asparagus, cut up
                                     Kohlrabi, peeled and cut up
                                     Strawberries
                                     Pine nuts to garnish



Dress with:
                                Best  Homemade Vinaigrette


                                     1&1/3 c olive oil
                                     1/3 c lemon juice
                                     1 tsp dry mustard
                                     5 cloves garlic
                                     1 tsp stevia or sugar
                                     1/2 to 1 tsp dried basil
                                     lots of black pepper
                                     salt to taste

Toss all ingredients into a blender  and whip until emulsified.  Alternatively, use red wine or balsamic vinegar in place of the lemon juice  or use shallots in place of the garlic, or use oregano in place of the basil.  Mix it up!

Take-Away - Exercise early and eat light when it's hot!



             
     



14 comments:

  1. I'm with ya ~ I went out to weed my garden last Friday and by 8:30 it was already in the 90s!

    This salad looks yummy! These days, I drink most of my veggies ~ so much easier for me to get them down! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty salad! We cooled off a bit today and got some rain so I'll be back in my garden tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you cooled down out there. We were much warmer than usual but nothing like what you had. I hope to do some serious weeding this week too.

      Delete
  3. On these crazy hot days I"m glad that my workout class is at 6:15 AM. I'm so happy it is finally cooling down so we can get back outside. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting up with the birds!! It's the only way to go in the summer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Easy too! Nice to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE strawberries in salad! The first time I saw it, though, I have to admit I was afraid to try it. Now I'm hooked. Even better with strawberry dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I've never had strawberry dressing only raspberry. It sounds great!

      Delete
  6. Agreed. In these hot days I don't want to move. The heat takes all of my energy. Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Found you via SheWrites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I just discovered SheWrites and am still finding my way around the site. I'll check out your blog next.

      Delete
  7. That salad looks yummy! Strawberries are so versatile, aren’t they? Kind of like chicken, they go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of berries in the summer. I'm fickle though. As soon as local blueberries arrive, I'd be happy to put them on my salad. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...